Before Moving to an Assisted Living

Why do I need to call Senior LinkAge Line®?

For people thinking about moving into a registered housing with services setting, sometimes called assisted living facilities, Senior LinkAge Line® can help you explore your choices and give you information and assistance. This conversation is called long-term care options counseling and is required by Minnesota law. This call can be very helpful, but not everyone needs it. Click here to find out if you or someone you’re helping needs to call.

How does it work?

The Minnesota Legislature wanted older Minnesotans to know they have options before they sign a lease. They selected Senior LinkAge® to provide this free service statewide. You can call them and find out what is available to you. After the conversation, you will get a verification code that you use to sign your lease. Certified health care homes, clinics, home care agencies and hospital staff can also use this Senior LinkAge® service to help people at risk of nursing home placement or who may just need some extra help in the community.

You can call Senior LinkAge® at 1-800-333-2433 Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm to talk about your options. If you are calling for someone, you must be his/her Power of Attorney (POA). The person you are helping or the housing manager can verify by phone or you can provide a POA directly to Senior LinkAge®. The specialist will walk you through how to do this when you call.

What services can Senior LinkAge® help with?

  • MnCHOICES Assessments

Senior LinkAge Line® can connect you with the free, in-person MnCHOICES assessment available in your county. MnCHOICES can help you see if you qualify for programs that will help you pay for services in the community.


  • Housing resources

Senior LinkAge Line® can help you understand your housing options.

    • Housing with services offers rented housing and purchased health-related services. One company may provide the housing and the services, or several companies may provide some or all of the services. Please note: not all housing with services offer assisted living.
    • Assisted living requirements vary by state. Minnesota’ requirements include those of housing with services plus additional stipulations. Learn more about your rights as a housing tenant and as a client of assistive services.
    • Compare housing services and costs: The Minnesota Department of Health requires each housing facility to complete a Uniform Consumer Information Guide (UCIG) that you can use to compare it to others. They developed UCIG so people can better decide about where and how they live, so they can live independently with dignity, respect and privacy. Visit to search for facilities and look at the UCIG for those you are interested in. 

  • Health insurance counseling

Senior LinkAge Line® can help you find answers to your Medicare and other health care questions, including letting you know what you need to do with Social Security and Medicare if you move from your home. Health Care Choices for Minnesotan on Medicare, guide can help you compare plan options.

  • Community supports

Senior LinkAge Line® can help you connect with community supports like home health care, meal preparation/delivery, transportation, hiring someone to help you bath or dress or help with house and yard work. 

Helpful resources

Below are links to some helpful information. You can also call Senior LinkAge® for print copies.

Information for providers

Housing with services providers, lead agencies, health care homes and hospitals can make online referrals to Senior LinkAge® . If you have someone on a waiting list or someone who might benefit from help from Senior LinkAge Line®, you can refer them to Senior LinkAge Line®.

Please note that online referral is not for people who want a verification code. Instead they must call 1-800-333-2433 to receive long-term care options counseling.

Provider protocols and bulletin

Those exempt from calling for options counseling

  • Those signing lease-only arrangements in subsidized housing settings
  • Those who had a MnCHOICES assessment through the county
  • Those receiving or being evaluated for hospice service from a licensed provider
  • Those who worked with a financial planner to develop a financial long-term care plan within 12 months of signing a lease or contract
    • A long-term care plan includes an alternate decision maker who can make financial or health care decisions if you are unable.
    • A long-term plan is for financing not including publicly funded programs, the rent and service costs for the registered housing with services setting or assisted living establishment.
    • The developed long-term care plan must cover a period of 60 months.
  • Those who moved into a registered housing with services setting outside Senor LinkAge® business hours, including emergency admissions

If you are exempt, you can add a signed Declaration of Exemption from Consultation for Housing with Services document to your housing documents.